Have you ever tried running or walking in your hot tub with knee-deep water?
That resistance you feel as you push against the water to move forward while the water pushes back to slow you down is called hydrodynamic drag! And it’s good for you! Especially when it’s carried out in a fun and systematic way.
To get more out of your hot tub than just rest and relaxation, keep reading as we uncover five simple hot tub exercises for improving muscle tone and easing muscle tightness.
5 Best Hot Tub Exercises That You Will Love
Want to get some definition on your calves? Then this easy and effective hot tub exercise will do the trick.
- Stand in the middle of your hot tub and raise up onto your toes.
- Doing this movement repeatedly will slim and tone your calves.
- Do three sets of 15-30 repetitions.
- Work on your six-pack while sitting or kneeling in the hot tub.
- Just ensure your shoulders are submerged, and your arms are crossed in front of your torso.
- Then contract your abdominal muscles and twist left to right slowly.
- Breathe out as you twist and breathe in as you return to the center.
- Do three sets of 20-30 twists. This will also work out your oblique muscles!
Squats are way more fun in a hot tub. Great for firming and strengthening your glutes, the low-impact water resistance also prevents your knees from hurting and gives you more support.
- Simply stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and find your balance.
- Then lower your body as though you’re trying to sit in a chair that’s too far away.
- Once your knees are at a 90° angle, hold the position and then slowly move back into a standing position.
- Do three sets of 15 repetitions.
For this arm exercise, you’ll want to use a waterproof resistance band or an aquatic dumbbell.
- Hold one weight in each hand while standing in chest-deep water.
- With the dumbbells or bands in your hands, lift your forearms up toward the top of the water.
- Keep your elbows as close to your body as possible, and don’t move your upper arms.
- Finally, slowly lower your forearm back into the water.
It’s always a great idea to end any workout with a stretch.
- Stand and stretch your thighs by bending your knee and grabbing your foot behind you.
- Pull against the resistance of the water and try to keep your legs together.
- For support, hold onto the wall with one hand. Hold each leg for 30-45 seconds, and then switch.
So, there you have it! Five simple hot tub exercises to improve joint mobility, cardiovascular health, and overall wellness, all while having fun! We highly recommend that you speak with a physician first, before starting any new fitness regimen.
Here at Swim World in Chelan, your health and wellness are always our top priorities!
If you’re looking for the best hot tub to work out in, browse our wide selection of hot tubs for sale in Chelan, or contact us today!
Our team of outdoor living experts at Swim World would be happy to assist you.